Friday, June 14, 2013

I Am an Artist!

Guys, I have a confession to make.

Sometimes I still have a hard time convincing myself that I'm a *real* artist.

I don't know.  It's weird.  I can't quite figure it out.

Maybe it's because, growing up, I didn't even really draw that much.

Or maybe it's because I've never taken any real art classes (unless 7th grade art counts).

I don't have a degree.

I didn't really start doing illustration-type-work until I was in my thirties.

It's like there's this (really annoying) voice in my head, telling me things like, "Who are you kidding, you can't draw!  You're not a real artist, unless you started when you were little.  You have no idea what you're doing.  It's never going to come out right."

Do you guys have those voices of negativity sometimes, too?

Eeef, they drive me crazy, and I'm constantly trying to prove them wrong.

Well, you know what?  I'm just going to come out and say it:

"I AM AN ARTIST!!!!!"

Ahhhh, that feels better.

Seriously, I just love making art SO much!!  And it just keeps getting better and better!

The more I learn and experiment and create, the more fun I have.

Do you ever get the feeling sometimes when your doing something - this overwhelming feeling of peace and happiness, like you are, at that moment, doing something that you were born to do?

Oh, it's the best!

That is how I feel sometimes when I create art.  It just sparks something inside of me that makes my spirit come alive!  I love it!

So, voices of negativity, I am not going to listen to you anymore!

In fact, I must be completely taking myself seriously as an artist, because I am currently enrolled in an an AWESOME ecourse called "Make Art That Sells," taught by Lilla Rogers.
http://lillarogers.com/make-art-that-sells/
Guys!  This class is so amazing!  I'm a week and a half into it, and I am just loving it so much and learning so many great things!

I kinda think this class was made just for me.  It's pretty much exactly what I need. : )

You wanna see my assignments I've been working on?

Here's my one from last week:

We were supposed to design a vintage kitchen-themed fabric.  Lilla mentioned that we could include vegetables in our work, and I thought to myself, "Hmmm, I've never drawn vegetables before.  Vegetables aren't really my thing.  You know what's my thing?  Candy and sweets!"
So, there ya go!  Vegetables that look like they're in a candy shop!  : )
I had so much fun making this piece, but I gotta tell you something.  I don't know if I should admit this or not, but I have to say that I was pretty proud of my little piece when I was finished.  I was thinking I was kinda hot stuff for creating something so clever and cute.  
But then (dun dun dun......)
I saw all the other work that the other students were submitting and, man, there are some talented people out there!  I think I actually heard my big head being deflated.
Everyone in the class (yes EVERYONE) is so amazingly talented!!!  I was honestly blown away when I saw everyone else's work!  Beautiful!  Incredible!  Adorable!  They were just about the cutest patterns I'd ever seen!
And I realized that I have A LOT to learn!!
Well, I guess that's why I signed up for the class, right?  
I think the very best thing for me right now with my art is just to create, create, create, and then maybe some day I'll be as awesome as my classmates.  : )
Anyway, one last thing (sorry, I got a little carried away with this post).  Here's what I've been up to tonight. 
My assignment for this week was to design artwork for a ceramic plate - something with a pod-like floral theme.
And, what was speaking to my artsy soul this week?  Ice cream, of course!

Can you tell it was floral inspired?  I hope so.  I just finished this a few minutes ago, so I may still go back and do some tweeks.

We're supposed to make 2 - 4 designs, so next I think I'm on to donuts....or maybe cupcakes.....or lollipops.  We'll see.

Anyway, me and my officially-declared "Artist" self is off to bed now.

Goodnight!  : )




No comments:

Post a Comment