Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Want to Remember to be Thankful

"It's all in how you look at it."

I'm a big believer in the power of a positive attitude.  It really has the ability to change everything.  Sometimes I get wrapped up in all of the things that bug me about my house.  It's not perfect.  I need new front steps, I want my upstairs to be completely finished, I want to re-design our backyard, I would LOVE a walk-in-closet, and oooo, a jetted tub!  I totally need a jetted tub!  The list goes on....

Then I need to stop myself.  I need a reminder that "it's all in how you look at it."  I can choose to look at my house and think about how I really need a new front door, or how I wish our next-door neighbor would clean up his yard.  Or, I can see all the beauty that our home holds and the memories.  I can think about all the things I have now that I didn't have when we bought our house.  We've owned our home for six years now (I know, I can't believe it's been that long - it kinda makes me feel like a grandma when I think about it).  I can focus on all the hard work that we've put into making our house our own, and how I've added my little decorator's touch.  This is where I've brought my babies home to, and where I tuck them in at night.  I want to appreciate what I have, and not focus on what I don't.

Not that I think we should just ignore all the things that aren't perfect, or not try to better our situation.  I'm all about moving forward and making progress.  My goal is just to not focus on the negative - especially the things that I have no control over - like our neighbor's yard, for example.

My point today is that I want to be thankful and see the goodness that surrounds me.  When I wake up in the morning, I can choose to look out my office window and see this:


This is the lovely view of my neighbor's yard (yes, I'm totally serious - don't you feel bad for me?  Just kidding - that's not the point).  The point is, that there is nothing that I can do about it (legally, that is).  I've called the town.  They have the guy in court.  Supposedly, they're doing everything they can to get him to clean it up.  So, I can choose to focus on the garbage dump outside my window, and stress about it until I have a twitch in my eye, or I can walk into my living room and look at this:





Ahhh, that's much better!  Recharge --- cleanse away all those negative vibes! Look at all my adorable Thanksgiving decorations!  I was quite proud of my mantle this year - I've collected some cute, sparkly Turkey-day stuff, and the colors go so nicely with my decor.  It makes me happy! : )

See, it's all in how you look at it.  I can get upset and depressed if I just focus on negativity.  Or, I can be thankful.  Things could always be worse.  But, I want to soak up all the beauty, positivity, and happiness, because it really is everywhere.  It's in our homes, it's in our yards, it's in our relationships....  I could probably even find something of value and beauty in my neighbor's yard if I looked for it.

"A Perfect Brightness of Hope"
Focusing on optimism - that is what I want to accomplish with my art (and my life).  See my piece above?  If you were to only look at the far left side of the image, it might give you a dark and depressed feeling, but when you see the sunshine coming in, then you can start to feel hope and comfort.  I want to see the sunshine in my life every day, and be thankful for the warmth that's all around - even in the dark, cold winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment