Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Loved my Art Party/Business Launch Celebration!


So, I’ve been officially open for business for one week and two days now – Congratulations to me!  It’s been a lot of work to get to where I am now, but to tell you the truth, most of it hasn’t really felt like work.  I think that’s when you know that you’ve found one of your callings in life.  I really look forward to my “Upenover Time.”  It’s quite therapeutic, actually (hey, I spelled that word right on the first try!)  

To mark my debut into the world with my Upenover Art, I decided to have a little Art Party/Business Launch Celebration with the fam.  I kinda went back and forth on the idea – whether or not I actually wanted to do it.  I’m not the type of person that likes to draw attention to myself, and I felt a little bit like maybe I was trying to show off or something by throwing a celebration party in my honor.  However, I kept thinking about these cute cupcakes that I wanted to make, and I was just so excited about how they would turn out, and how perfectly they would match my art.  The cupcakes are finally what did it for me.  I decided to go ahead with the party.  Plus, our family loves to have something to celebrate, and I knew everyone would be so supportive and nice (which they were).


"Delicious Dream." How could I resist making real-life cupcakes to match this piece?


There they are - my delicious little cupcakes (made from the yummiest chocolate cake recipe ever - a family treasure).  And check out my array of colored frosting - I felt like such a chef!


So, I don't even like maraschino cherries (the taste of them, anyway), but seriously, these cupcakes wouldn't be nearly as cute without them, right?


And there is my completed masterpiece!  I had so much fun making these!  It was my favorite part of the party preparation.  Aren't they adorable?  I almost didn't want to let anyone eat them because they were so dang cute!


Ok, so my cute cupcakes just got upstaged by all the adorable kids devouring them.  Yes, I did decide to actually let people eat them, and I have to say that they were as delicious as they were cute!  (But, not quite as cute as all the little cousins!)

So, that is why I normally don't spend a lot of time making food look cute - it just gets destroyed too fast, but now my special cupcakes can live in in my blog - especially since I have such a talented, photographer husband.  I tried to take the pictures of the cupcakes myself, and they just turned out really bad.  Being married to a professional photographer definitely comes in handy (even when he'd prefer to be a professional musician).  

Speaking of which, my other favorite part of the celebration was my special slideshow of my art pieces - set to the song Rob wrote for me, "Laurie's Song."  You can see the slideshow on the opening page of my website (if you haven't already).  It's so cute (if I do say so myself)!

So, my party was a success!  Thank-you, thank-you to my wonderful fam for supporting me and celebrating with me in this fun new adventure of mine!  It was a fun little gathering.  Hopefully there will be more successes in the future to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Was such a fun party Lar! Everything was adorable and delicious! XoXo

    ps. I agree that getting lost in art making is super therapeutic!

    ReplyDelete