Wednesday, August 22, 2012

New Cupcake Art

I just love making art!

Ahhh - it is just so fun!

I came up with a funny little quirky creation tonight:

In case you have a hard time reading the text, it says, "I like you even more than a giant cupcake with swirly pink frosting."

Can you handle the cuteness?  I don't know if I can.  : )

So, here's where my inspiration came from.  I was on Pinterest the other day (but of course), and came across this gorgeous photo:

http://www.onewed.com/wedding-flowers/gallery/bright-botanical-garden-wedding 
I just fell in love with the colors, and of course all the circles caught my eye.  So, I filed it under my "Color Inspiration" board.

The next day, I was shopping at the mall with the boys, and I saw this cute new yogurt shop in the food court:

http://www.westfield.com/shop/stores/bananaberryyogurt/trumbull?retailer=44966
Notice the similarities?  Funny, huh?  Same color palette, same circle shapes.  They both immediately spoke to me for some reason.

So, Tuesday night is my special "art time."  I LOVE it!  Lately, I start off studying my material that I'm learning in my Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design class.  Then, I have my creation time where I actually make some art.  I put on an interview from Smart, Creative Women (which I also LOVE), and just start sketching out the first thing that comes to mind.

And what is one of the first things that always comes to my mind?

Cupcakes, of course!

So, I used my color palette inspiration of the week, and came up with my little ditties.

Here's a few more coordinating pieces I made to go with the first one:




Ahhh!  I've been having so much fun tonight!  : )

You know what's one of my new favorite Photoshop brushes?  It's my collection that I made called "Dots."

Here's what happened:  I was making little art creations one day with my boys.  They have this cool set of "Do-a-Dot Paints" where you stamp little circles onto the paper:

http://www.amazon.com/Do-A-Dot-Rainbow-Art-Set/dp/B00004W3Y4

They're pretty fun, and my boys seem to love them (especially my four-year-old).  So, there we were one day, stamping away with our little "Do-a-Dot" things, and I looked at my paper and thought, "Wow, I totally need to turn these into Photoshop brushes.  This is awesome!"

So, I stamped a few on a page, scanned them into the computer, and turned them into my very own "Do-a-Dot" Photoshop brushes!  They can be any size, any color.  They are so fun, see:

Can you just imagine the possibilities?

I used them several times tonight in my pieces.  I used them for the texture in the cupcakes, for the sprinkles, and also for the swatch that's just a bunch of circles.  It was fun, fun, fun.  : )

So, there you have it - my bit of art love for the day.

Good-night!  : )



No comments:

Post a Comment